Saturday, July 18, 2009

Journal Entry 7: Saturday July 18th, 2009

Today is the day I had been dreading! My last day in Barahona, Dominican Republic. I am sad, but I know great things are to come! J The plans for today were the market in the morning and the beach in the afternoon! So a nice relaxed day was ahead. We headed to the market, which was an amazing experience. Tiny walkways, tons of people, and masses of fruit, vegetables and spices. The smell of the spices walking through the narrow undercover market tunnel was amazing. I managed to take a few shots, which I have posted. I did not buy anything from the market, but just being able to be within that cultural environment was enthralling. After the market we headed to the ice cream shop! I have had more ice cream this week than I ever do! Lol! But when it is so hot here, how can anyone resist. We returned home to the casa after our morning trip to enjoy lunch, more ice cream and then to sit and relax before heading to the beach.

            The beaches in and around the area of Barahona are mostly pebbles, so we headed to the best beach to swim in! It was beautiful, although my feet did not adapt well to the pebbles! Lol! We got to the beach at 3pm and I did not get out of the water until 5.30pm! Lol! Everyone had a short dip but I stayed in the water with Lauren, Tony, Renzo, and Jose. The water was cool and refreshing. There was a lot of coral out a certain way, which I swam out to, but kind of got freaked out by the spongy thing that sucked my feet! Ewww! Lol! I enjoyed watching Jose, our translator flip out when something grabbed his leg! I have never seen a man move so fast in the water, but laughing insanely at the same time! The people here have such a take on life. They are happy, content and loving. It’s amazing to be in their presence. We then returned home after a cold fountain shower out of a pipe on the beach. Everyone was soaked, but it was a beautiful drive home with the lush green hillside on one side and the water on the other!

            We said goodbye to the people we would not see again! It was sad, but I am so excited to return here and see them all again! J Tonight we had decided to attend church. Julio, an amazing individual, the construction manager for COTN, also a pastor, asked me to attend his church. We did and it was amazing. They sang gloriously, we clapped and sang along as best possible to the Spanish songs! During the service I was thinking about how truly blessed I am to have met Julio and had the numerous opportunities to talk with him this week! He is one amazing man and I know he will be my right hand man and my construction consultant for the next year throughout the design process and next year when the project hopefully comes to life. He introduced our group to the church, and then he went on to explain in great detail the project I have offered to the people of Barahona. He did not tell the church as to what it was as he said it is still a dream, but he will pray for me everyday so that I have guidance throughout the next year, and to return to make this dream come true. I realize for the first time, this is not only my dream; it’s their dream too. I feel honored by the people here, but yet they are making my dreams come true. They see me as making their dreams come true, what a beautiful combination.

            What an amazing trip, an amazing experience, and an opportunity of a lifetime. I can only hope that time moves fast between now and thanksgiving. I have many things I need to place in order along with the beginning of my thesis, now I know of my concrete design. I can only hope and pray that along with me on my next trip I will be blessed with a team of special people that are willing to come here to teach the children what I have been taught the last 4 years of my life at Savannah College of Art and Design. A simple drawing class will bring light and inspiration into the hearts of the children and also amazing adults such as Julio. He is my inspiration, I know I can do this, with the belief of a man such as he this project will become more than just a dream for the children and people of Barahona.

            Thank You to everyone who has been following my journey here, I feel blessed to have the support I have received. Thank you to my family for always believing in the person I was born to be, and the ways in which you support me in becoming that woman. I have found my road to walk upon as an architect, I have found my purpose, and love. It is here with the people of Barahona and the Children of the Nations.

Thank you again to everyone,

Katie x x

No comments:

Post a Comment