Friday, July 17, 2009

Journal Entry 6: Friday July 17th, 2009

Today was solo hot!!! The day was full of trips to the Batey's and so I was very excited to begin the day! First we went to Don Bosco, here I had to collect my cameras from the six children that I had given them to a few days ago. Some of them managed to use all the pictures in the camera and write descriptions for the pictures they has chosen to take. I am excited to return home and have the pictures developed; it will be very interesting to look through the eyes of the children into their world and their interpretation of architecture. I still find it amazing that these children haven’t even seen the pyramids or the famous buildings that we take inspiration from. Manuel Emilio is someone that I believe will make himself an architect. He is determined and passionate, and determined to help the people in his community by becoming an engineer. This is the older boy that I have previously spoken about. I am going to try and return here after Thanksgiving and upon that return I hope to bring some architecture supplies he would utilize to his greatest ability.

During the week I left activities for the children and teens to complete, and to my surprise as soon as I arrive in the Batey's where I had left the paper and pencils they came to find me to hand me their designs they had been working on. I have not had time to sit and look through everything I have received but I know I will have plenty of time when I get home and I am very excited!!! J During our trip to the Batey called Los Robles where I had conducted my surveys with the older teens, we decided to do house visit. My visit was with a 4 year old boy names Henry. He was beautiful. If I could manage to steal these children, I would bring them all home with me. They are so affectionate and all they want is love, which works out amazingly for me because all I want to do is love them back! I pulled out my sunglasses for the first time today and they lasted approximately 10 minutes in the hands of a little girl in Los Robles. So they have now found a new home in the Dominican Republic! I’m sure she will enjoy them even though they are broken!! Lol! So we decided to play a game Carolyn had brought with her to Henry’s house. It was a card game where you match the pictures. We sat and played about 4 games, and I decided to join the children on the floor. I loved interacting with them on their level, I felt the need to make myself at home in Henrys home. The floor was concrete but far from clean, but this was the last thing on my mind! J Henry sat on my lap the entire time and a one point he sat with his head on my chest and we rocked back and fourth together. I do not think he wanted me to leave because when it was time to go, I got up to leave and he wanted me to pick him up. So I did to hug him and give him a big kiss!! J He is adorable. I cannot wait to return and see all the amazing children I have met in the Batey's, I will miss them all very much. L I feel very at home here, I feel the need to be here, and I believe that my future heavily involves being here to help the people. The culture is alive; the people open their hearts to allow you to see who they truly are. It is truly amazing to be involved with what COTN is doing here; I feel the presence of Faith, love and hope around every individual here. I keep saying it’s amazing but it really is.

            When we visited Altagrassia, my favorite place besides Los Robles a church missionary group was in the Batey handing out candy and toys. Although we may think this is amazing it sometimes causes more problems. I do not know what is the best way to hand out items such as these in the Batey’s, but because it was something that is a rarity, everyone was going crazy! The parents seemed to be more pushy than the children, some children were collecting their toys and candy then running home to change their clothes and come back for a second round! One pregnant woman was asking for toys and candy for the baby still in her belly!!!! In situations like these you see another side of people because their survival mode kicks in. The good thing although was that when we did arrive there were hundreds of children sat inside the school! I walked right into the middle and began making my way around each and every one of them sitting on the side to take their picture! As you all know by now, the children love pictures!!! I manage to steal two beautiful baby girls to hold for a while. They felt so soft and squishy! They were beautiful; I believe I posted a picture of them both! J So overall today again was amazing. How is it that I can spend a day just visiting children to talk, play and take pictures, and it becomes one of the best days of my life.

            So I began this journal entry before dinner as we had a fiesta tonight! The party was a goodbye party for our group. I cried from beginning to end. Never in my life have I felt so appreciated by any group of people. The littlest that I have given them this week has been influential and inspiring not only to the people of Barahona, but to COTN also. There were a few speeches, and each one was touching. Because I came here to venture on a new journey by myself, I was addressed by the speakers, which truly touched my heart. Julio the construction director is the reasoning behind my tears that started way tooooo early! He explained how much he has learnt from me, and that he is emotional of my presence here and my return to teach him AutoCAD! This truly touched me; I did not think that I came here this week to receive the thanks and praise for what I have proposed to do. I feel blessed, truly blessed, and this is the first time in my life that I feel this way. It feels amazing, but at the same time I am upset because I am over whelmed by the emotions that I have received from these people. The director of the COTN board attended the fiesta as well and also spoke. He thanked me for making a dream possible for COTN and the children of the Dominican Republic. Every single person that is involved within COTN, or the volunteers, the interns, the drivers, the translators; their heart and soul is within this amazing organization. I cannot begin to put into words. After the speeches we watched a slideshow presented by Kathy. The pictures she has been taking without us knowing for this fiesta! They were amazing; they captured the moment in every situation, every communication, and every interaction between us all and the children and the people here. It was touching to see what we had been able to do whilst we were here. I did not think that I would come here to teach the children, I did not think I would come here to teach the adults, and I did not think that my coming here would be appreciated the way it has been. The people of the Dominican Republic believe I was sent here by God as a blessing. The director of the board also said that whilst I am away they will be working on finding me a Dominican boyfriend so I may stay here forever, everyone thought this was very funny. I feel very loved and honored to be in the people of COTN’s presence. Without the help and dedication of Kathy I do not think this would be possible, she is an amazing woman and I am so thankful for everything she has done in order to bring me into COTN and to the Dominican Republic. On my way to the main house to finish my blog estefani, who has alberto’s sister and has been in the casa with us all week, told me goodbye. I asked her if I would see her tomorrow and she no. She is a beautiful and kind young and I have enjoyed my time with her greatly. She has sat with me every night as I have written this journal and we have watched movies together, as well as being taught Spanish by her! After she told me she would not see me tomorrow, she began to cry. This upset me as I saw how my interaction with her has meant something and I was sad to not see her again. I told her I would see her soon, and then said goodbye. As I said and as I hope you see, the people here are amazing and the children are individually one of a kind. They are gifts from heaven, and I cannot wait to return here and maintain my promises that I will keep. The next year is going to be amazing I can hardly wait. I am excited to see what the future has in store for me, and the people here in the Dominican Republic. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie, it's Jennifer from school! It's so awesome to see what you're doing over there, and I'm happy to see you're blogging about it! I'll be doing something similar, once my own thesis gets underway. :)

    I look forward to seeing what you do! Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete